Friday, April 15, 2011

Holly Bobo and all the others

Holly Bobo is missing in Tennessee.  Her brother reported a man in camouflauge taking her out of their home at 7:30 in the morning.  There was blood seen nearby reportedly.  I can only pray and shake my head, why.  Why.  Why are so many women abducted, raped and killed.  I'm not saying she is gone.  I hope she is alive.  But as time goes on, hope fades slowly.  Elizabeth Smart was taken from her own bed in the middle of the night and became a virtual sex slave and "wife" of that who needs to know his name guy.  Just finished "Crash into me" book  about Liz Seccuro's harrowing rape by 3 men on campus and the apathy that met her from the University's elite.  One of the rapists wrote her some apology letter admitting to the rape.  And beating, judging from the details in the book.  She had him arrested and he served a few months. Not enough. The other 2 rapists are just living their lives in silence surrounded by a wall of soundproof.  Morgan Harrington was taken from a concert parking lot and killed.  Her body was found in a nearby farm field.  She had many broken bones it  was reported. She was alone.  She was thrown away like garbage.

And there was Natalie Holloway.  And Lacey Peterson.  And Drew Peterson's ex wives.  And so many more.

I have a son.  I know he could get abducted and killed too.  Why does it seem like the young women are in this web of violence?  What can I do to teach my son to be compassionate and kind and aware?  This is so epidemic.  Nothing ever seems to change.  So when I read those God----- articles in  Time and Newsweek talking about helicopter parents who hover over their children's every move....I am still.  We cannot protect every child from predators.  We can hover and hover and hover.  We can pray for the girls who did not have a chance and who were victimized.   And for the boys who are taken. We can fight these people  and fight for victim's rights.  And we can be still.  And in our stillness, we can remember the ones who fought the enemies.  I hope Holly is fighting and will return home soon.  I am scared.

No comments:

Post a Comment